2G, 3G, Wimax and new LTE operators face critical challenges to monetize tailored Internet experience and control traffic growth to create and sustain their profitability.
Challenges for Mobile Internet Providers & Mobile Network Operators
To cope with a huge traffic growth, Radio technologies (HSPA, LTE, Wimax) are enabling a massive bandwidth increase in the “last mile” of mobile networks. Still bandwidth offered in mobile networks remains 10 to 100 times lower than what is available in a fixed infrastructure. And user’s demand is skyrocketing with dramatic increasing constraints on the mobile broadband networks:
- The number of Internet connected devices whether they are smartphone, PC with 3G dongles, and tablets is expanding rapidly
- The new mobile internet usages demand more and more broadband (HD and SD video, online storage, P2P file sharing…)
Experts are expecting mobile data traffic to grow over 26 fold between 2011 and 2015.
Concurrently, the competition becomes tougher with sometimes a declining ARPU, and a clear risk of service commoditization with only flat fees and/or one-size-fits-all subscription type offering. Tapping budget users and creating premium offers to maintain and grow profitability requires a more customer centric approach that relies not only on new devices and terminals.
Solutions for network control and sustainable profitability
New revenue opportunities emerge, on the condition that Mobile Operators are able to offer real tailor-made subscriptions. To meet this objective, Vedicis provides policy control and enforcement based on its DPI-PCEF solution with its Content Smart Switch. This includes user profile enforcement for User SLA control:
- user can be (depending on use cases) a subscriber, a group of subscriber (range of IP), an enterprise, a virtual network …
- each profile includes traffic policies (global bandwidth management at user level), APPs policies (Blocking, session limiting, Quota, Charging, Routing) and content policies (URL access list, content black list…)
- bandwidth per user
- user bandwidth fairness
- APPs shaping & blocking with rate limiting per group of APPs
- Concurrent session limiting per user
- Quota management with
- alerts and tickets creation upon threshold exceed
- blocking above threshold…
- micro-quotas management for online charging
- redirect to webpage or operator self-care portal
Content policies :
- URLs and Content access control with blacklist enforcement
- Parental control
- Use of regulator/operator/or commercial DB.
User profile enforcement benefits
Create personalized service packages
With the proper identification of users including their device and user agents (type of browser, device OS), Mobile operators are empowered to analyse subscribers usage and internet consumption trends so that they are able to propose and enforce new custom centric subscription packages. Precise segmentation, with enforcement of flexible profiles and dynamic policies put mobile operators in position to meet exactly user’s aspiration for a tailored Internet experience.
Usage based-billing: Grow revenue and improve profitability
How can you tap premium subscribers with premium packages? How can you promote services for budget users? Vedicis solution helps you to identify and address requiring customers from a growing number of market niches. With compelling offers, competitive pressure is lowered with less commoditization, and Internet usage becomes more profitable again. Our Vedicis DPI-PCEF is a fundamental step to implement usage based-charging and billing.